[Openstack] Cross-zone instance identifiers in EC2 API - Is it worth the effort?

Ed Leafe ed.leafe at rackspace.com
Mon Jul 11 22:46:49 UTC 2011

On Jul 11, 2011, at 6:19 PM, Ewan Mellor wrote:

> Up to now, I have assumed that zones would be used as the construct that isolated different service offerings, e.g. VMware vs XenServer or 10G networking versus 1G, or whatever.  Zones therefore play two roles: they give you the architecture for large-scale deployments, and they also allow for distinguished service offerings.
>
> Are you thinking along these lines?

	Not necessarily. Zones don't have *any* intrinsic meaning, other than a self-contained, shared-nothing deployment of nova. They can be used as you described, or for geographical distribution, or for any other situation that makes sense for the deployment needs. As I work for Rackspace, I'm usually concerned with our needs for deploying nova across and within our data centers, but I always tried to make sure that meeting Rackspace's needs didn't preclude any other potential use of OpenStack.

> If so, then I would say that your proposed limitation above is not acceptable.  We don't want a situation where tenants have to stop using the EC2 API as soon as their service provider wants to offer a rich set of offerings.

	That was my working premise, too, but the decision was made within Rackspace to not spend time on EC2 support for zones since we use the OS API exclusively, so my hands were tied.

-- Ed Leafe

This email may include confidential information. If you received it in error, please delete it.