[Openstack] Queue Service

Muriel mucawhite at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 09:04:20 UTC 2011

Il 14/02/2011 18:51, Eric Day ha scritto:
> Hi everyone,
>
> When looking at other services to include as part of OpenStack, the
> first that comes to mind for many is a queue. A queue service can
> not only provide a useful public cloud service, but can also provide
> one of the building blocks for other services. I've been leading an
> effort to research and gather requirements for a queue service and
> I'd like to share the current state and get community feedback. I
> expect real development to begin very soon, and would also like to
> identify developers who will have time to dedicate to this project.
>
> I'd like to note this is not an official OpenStack project yet. The
> intention is once we have the community support and a simple
> implementation, we will submit the project to the OpenStack Project
> Oversight Committee for approval.
>
> The reason we are initiating our own project vs using an existing one
> is due to simplicity, modularity, and scale. Also, very few (if any)
> existing queue systems out there were built with multi-tenant cloud
> use cases in mind. Very few also have a simple and extensible REST
> API. There are possible solutions to build an AMQP based service,
> but AMQP brings complexity and a protocol not optimized for high
> latency and intermittent connectivity.

Hi all,
i'm completely new to openstack but i started working on something
similar to eucalyptus. In the coming months we will begin a project to
bring our work on openstack and share it with you.

On Eucalyptus, we have worked to integrate the scheduler with Haizea and
Sun Grid Engine. Sun Grid Engine was necessary for us because it is the
internal scheduler in the cluster and must share resources with the
cloud environment.

The idea is to make Haizea the scheduler for physical resources and
queue, with the possibility to attach him an existing scheduler (Oracle
Grid Engine, lfs and others) via plugin.

You think this might be interesting?

Muriel