[Openstack] Burrow Release and Call for Developers

Eric Day eday at oddments.org
Mon Aug 29 18:38:23 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

I released a new version of the Burrow message queue service today,
tagged in the diablo-4 milestone. You can find it here:

https://launchpad.net/burrow

The work during diablo has focused on finishing the conversion of
prototype to a real project and increasing test coverage, docs, and API
normalization. At this point it is fairly polished and works great as
a single-server setup. There have also been prototype Java and C API
libraries written for it by the student group I worked with over the
summer.

Next steps include the hashing proxy backend (similar to how the swift
proxy works) to allow for HA and scale-out deployments. Unfortunately I
will not be able to do this work. I am leaving Rackspace at the end of
this week, which also means I'm not going to have much time for OpenStack
related development.

This is a call out to the community to see if anyone has the resources
and interest to continue Burrow development. Specifically, it would be
great to find a person or small group to lead this effort. It is just
about ready to be proposed for incubation, but I didn't feel right doing
it knowing I would not be able to take the lead. If you are interested,
please get in touch.

On a personal note, I'd like to thank everyone I've interacted with in
the community. It has been very exciting being part of such a fast moving
project. I wish the best of luck to OpenStack and everyone involved for
the future!

-Eric