[Openstack] Issues with Packaging and a Proposal

Rick Clark rick at openstack.org
Thu Aug 25 16:54:25 UTC 2011

I have a suggestion.  Let's let the distros do whatever they want.

While we need a development platform, we are not required to provide
packages for each distribution.  We got where we are today, because we
we have many ubuntu devs that are also openstack devs.  Whether Ubuntu
takes the packages from debian or spins their own, is not our concern.

Even if we develop on Ubuntu at the end of a release, we could just
release our code with dependencies.  What comes next is up to each
distribution.

This is much more in line with other upstream projects.