[Openstack] Moving code hosting to GitHub

Soren Hansen soren at linux2go.dk
Wed Apr 27 17:37:59 UTC 2011

2011/4/27 Thomas Goirand <thomas at goirand.fr>:
> On 04/27/2011 11:26 PM, Soren Hansen wrote:
>> To get working, yes. To be an expert, no.
>>
>> bzr lp-login
>> (bzr init-repo)
>> bzr branch
>> (bzr add)
>> bzr commit
>> bzr push
>>
>> ..are sufficient to just get started.
> No, I don't agree, it's not enough. See below.

>>> and that's most of the time the issues with "using bzr for git users"
>>> tutorials: they tend to think that you're ok with the most basics
>>> command, and that you wont ever need more. Truth is you do, and
>>> finding the relevant information for the thing you need takes time (a
>>> big cost, to use your own words...).  If you find a "learning quickly
>>> advanced bzr commands for git users" type of tutorial, I might change
>>> my mind! :)
>>
>> If you can explain what sort of stuff you've had a hard time finding, I
>> can probably whip up something that will be helpful to others.
> - git reset --hard <sha256>

bzr uncommit -r <revisionspec>

that leaves the changes in the working directory, though. You can use
"bzr revert" to remove the changes from the working directory.

> - git commit -a --amend (to correct the latest commit)

bzr uncommit ; bzr commit

> - git format-patch <sha256>

bzr log -c <revisionspec> -p

> - or maybe instead: git diff -u -r <sha256> -r <sha256>

bzr diff -r <revisionspec>..<revisionspec>

> - git push --force (you told me, but I forgot... is that bzr push
> --overwrite?)

"bzr push --overwrite", but please don't use it. It's the same for
git, really. Once you've pushed it somewhere, don't remove stuff from
it, or rebase it or whatever. If anyone has pulled from it and based
work on it, it's extremely awkward if they want to sync up with you.

> - git cherry-pick -x

bzr merge -c <revisionspec>, but its use is discouraged.

> - git -r branch (does listing branches on the remote side even make
> sense with bzr?)

No.

> - git tag (to list tags, as bzr tag <tagname> seems working)

bzr tags

> There must be more than I can't recall just now, in 5 minutes of deep
> thoughts.

I still don't see how any of the above are *required* to start working, though.

> Also, one thing I love with git, is that I can always do "man
> git-command" if I want help with "command", and there's more than 100 of
> them. Is this available somehow?

"bzr <subcommand> -h" shows the help for the subcommand.

"bzr help <foo>" is roughly the same, but it provides help for a bunch
of things other than commands.

"bzr help commands" shows you (almost) all the available commands (bzr
help hidden-commands shows a few extra commands that most people will
never need)

"bzr help topics" shows a bunch of topics that has more extensive explanations.

--
Soren Hansen        | http://linux2go.dk/
Ubuntu Developer    | http://www.ubuntu.com/