[Openstack] Moving code hosting to GitHub

Thomas Goirand thomas at goirand.fr
Sun Apr 24 15:30:48 UTC 2011

On 04/24/2011 08:27 PM, Soren Hansen wrote:
> There are still *big* projects that still use subversion or even CVS
> (e.g. OpenBSD) and manage to stay productive.

Yes right. So let's go back to use RCS, I'm sure you'll find some
projects still using it! :)

On 04/24/2011 08:27 PM, Soren Hansen wrote:
> Well, that's just silly. On a *really* busy day, I might create 5,
> 6 or perhaps even 10 branches, but I make perhaps 50-70 commits.
> Why would the cost of creating branches be so much more interesting
> that you think the time to do anything else *at all* doesn't matter?

Because a commit will always take a very small amount of time, even if
the project is big (eg: about 15 seconds, even on the linux kernel, and
for both git and bzr...). That's currently not truth with a bzr branch
(on a big project), which will always push you to go away take a cup of
coffee 5, 6 or perhaps even 10 times, reducing your productivity, and
making you incredibly addicted to coffee. :)

By the way, I can't even think of making 10 branches a day! My head
would explode, and I wouldn't know what they would be for... :) And
that's precisely what I am not used and dislike with bzr.

Thomas