[Openstack] Thinking about Volumes/Block Storage in Openstack

Chuck Thier cthier at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 16:13:08 UTC 2011

I am currently leading a team at Rackspace in an R&D effort for Rackspace's
next generation Volumes as a Service product. We plan on developing it in
the
open, and would like community feedback and involvement.  The project will
be
called "Lunr", and I will send out links to the mailing list when we have
the project
repository ready.

We are also submitting Lunr to be an Openstack incubated project at the
Diablo
Design Summit next week. The eventual goal is to provide an enhanced volume
service for Nova and OpenStack that can be evolved by the OpenStack
community.

We would like to start by proposing and working with those of you in the
community
who are interested in collaboratively defining what the OpenStack volume api
will
look like and behave going forward.  We propose expanding off the work that
justinsb
has already contributed and adding support for snapshots and other needed
features.

I will send another email to the list to begin these discussions.

Several of the Lunr team will be at next week's design summit.  I've
received many
emails from individuals and vendors who are interested in the volume service
in Nova
and OpenStack and would like to collaborate in this effort.  I already have
a talk accepted
to discuss these items in detail and look forward to both the official and
unofficial discussions with anyone interested.

I don't want to dump too much information in one email, so expect more soon.
I wanted
to start the discussion of the project, answer initial questions, and have
initial review
of a draft API prior to the design summit.

--
Chuck Thier (@creiht)