[Openstack] Feature Freeze status

FUJITA Tomonori fujita.tomonori at lab.ntt.co.jp
Fri Apr 1 20:49:52 UTC 2011

On Fri, 1 Apr 2011 22:02:02 +0200
Soren Hansen <soren at openstack.org> wrote:

> > I already saw
> > the shortage of reviewing (and I even saw that a half-baked feature
> > without enough reviewed was merged and reverted).
>
> Yes! EXACTLY! Because people who ought to be reviewing aren't.

I think that we need to admint that there isn't enough reviewing power
for that 'promise'. Instead merge only patches that are reviewed
well. If people get frustrated with the speed of merging patches, some
developers start to review patches.

> > I bet that we'll face more serious shortage of reviewing with
> > developers increasing. In genera, developers prefer to write own code
> > rather than reviewing. We can't change the nature.
>
> Then people ought to grow up. Seriously. They should grow up and stop
> saying that they're going to review stuff, or they should start
> actually reviewing stuff.

I don't think that people grow up in the way that you expect. I feel
that I listen to the shortage of reviewing discussion at every kernel
summit. Even though there are more than 1,000 kernel developers.

> > I think that there is no such 'promise' for reviewing in a large
> > OSS. If your code can't get enough reviewers, your code might be not
> > useful enough for the project. It's sorta evolutionary theory. The
> > better code has the better chance to be merged quickly. The features
> > are prioritized fairly.
>
> I think we have quite different definitions of "fair".
>
> We're on a mission: "to produce the ubiquitous Open Source Cloud
> Computing platform that will meet the needs of public and private
> clouds regardless of size, by being simple to implement and massively
> scalable."
>
> We can't pretend to meet everyone's needs if we only accept patches
> that are fun to review or that we wrote ourselves.

The majority of OpenStack developers are paid for OpenStack
development, right? I don't think that we need to worry about
such. Look at Linux kernel development. The mojority are professionals
and understand what they need to do.