[Openstack-track-chairs] Hello Forum Selection Committee!

Waines, Greg Greg.Waines at windriver.com
Wed Sep 19 13:41:21 UTC 2018

Thanks for info ... makes sense.
Greg.

From: Jimmy McArthur <jimmy at openstack.org>
Date: Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 9:37 AM
To: "openstack-track-chairs at lists.openstack.org" <openstack-track-chairs at lists.openstack.org>
Cc: Greg Waines <Greg.Waines at windriver.com>
Subject: Re: [Openstack-track-chairs] Hello Forum Selection Committee!

Hi Greg,

I'm going to answer this directly on the public list as it's likely relevant to others:

Waines, Greg wrote:

Hey Jimmy,

I’m in the StarlingX group ... and first time in the Forum Selection Committee ... questions for you ....

Is StarlingX guaranteed a certain number of Forum Sessions ?
Can StarlingX specifically ask for like 5 Forum Sessions ?
We don't guarantee any group a specific number of slots.  The makeup of the Forum Selection Committee is 2 OpenStack User Committee Member, 2 OpenStack Technical Committee Members, 2 OpenStack Foundation employees, 1 Starling X representative, 1 Airship representative, 1 Kata representative, and 1 Zuul representative.

The goal of the committee is to look for forum topics that can help promote good conversation and cross-collaboration. The topics should be high level enough that they would be of interest to users and operators, as well as developers.

When you're encouraging projects/communities to submit to the Forum, the above is something to keep in mind.  Proposing joint sessions is a great way to get people in the room and a great way to have your topic selected.

Now... all that said, in Vancouver we had enough space to take almost every topic submitted.  We try REALLY hard to include as much as we can.  We'll have to see how many submissions we  get this time, but we do have a fair amount of slots available.

Also ... so we are using the CFP process for submitting FORUM topics ?
i.e. https://www.openstack.org/summit/berlin-2018/call-for-presentations
So topics need to be submitted with an abstract providing more details on context than just a topic title ?
That's correct. An abstract and a couple of other minor things are necessary in order for us to review/evaluate the topic.

( I noticed that some of my presentation submissions are still in system )
Should we mark forum specific submissions with ‘FORUM’ as a prefix to title or something ?
This is one of the unfortunate side effects of using the CFP tool for Forum topics. We'll have a fix in for this, but it probably won't be until next cycle.  That said, this is just the "submitter" view.  When it comes time for the Forum Selection Committee to make these decisions, they will only see items submitted to the Forum track.

Let me know if I can answer anything further.

Thanks!
Jimmy

Let me know,
Greg.