[Openstack-track-chairs] Proposal to remove session voting on Community mailing list

Gary Kevorkian (gkevorki) gkevorki at cisco.com
Tue May 17 20:27:59 UTC 2016

As a community member and track chair, I see pluses and minuses.

And, there is a certain irony that, in an election year, we are considering removing community voting from the session selection process. :)

Imagine getting stuck with [insert name of candidate you hate the most here] without having the opportunity to vote.

To be honest, I can't say I'd be in favor of completely removing the voting by community members. That being said, I do think the session selection process could use an overhaul.

I made this suggestion once before but it didn't get much traction so I'll give it another shot. Instead of exposing the community to, in the case of the ATX summit, 1,300 talks for open voting, what if the track chairs did a first pass on sifting through the talks in their respective tracks to remove the wheat from the chaff, so to speak? Then, take that shortened list of talks to open voting. You could reduce the amount of time open for voting since there would be fewer sessions to review.

Right now the pre-voting review by the track chairs is just to move talks to other tracks if it's believed it belongs somewhere else. There's no dropping talks at that point.

Just a suggestion.

As a track chair, I did find the voting results somewhat helpful in making my final track choices.

My gut tells me that the community doesn't want the Summit agenda set by just a few people. They'll want to have a voice.

My $.02.

[http://www-author.cisco.com/c/dam/cec/organizations/gmcc/services-tools/signaturetool/images/logo/logo_gradient.png]

Gary Kevorkian

MARKETING COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER - EVENTS

Marketing and Communications

gkevorki at cisco.com<mailto:gkevorki at cisco.com>

Tel: +3237912058

Cisco.com<http://www.cisco.com>