[Openstack-track-chairs] reset statistics when a talk is moved

Jimmy McArthur jimmy at openstack.org
Sat Jul 23 17:26:54 UTC 2016

Kurt Garloff wrote:
> Hi Kyle,
>
> Am 22.07.2016 um 17:09 schrieb Kyle Mestery:
>> On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 10:06 AM, Amrith Kumar<amrith at tesora.com>  wrote:
>>> When a talk is moved from one track to another, I believe that it would be a good thing if the ratings on the talk are reset.
>>> Consider this talk as an example:
>>> https://www.openstack.org/track-chairs/browse/14981?category=73
>>> It was given a -1 by someone (I won't mention names because this is going to the ML).
>>> Also the talk was moved on the request of a reviewer into another track (hi reviewer, long time no talk).
>>> Now, as I see the talk, it still retains the -1 which is likely no longer relevant or appropriate.
>>> Yet the -1 is used in computing the talks 'score'.
>>> Thanks,
>> I actually disagree and think the -1 still holds value, same as a +1
>> would hold value. I'm not sure why you think a track chair's vote
>> (even if not in the same track) isn't worth retaining post move to be
>> honest.
>
> Well, no.
> The talks that get moved would have a different numbers of voters than
> all the others in the track if the votes are retained.
The votes themselves are only relevant as a tracking point. It's not
meant to be a winner take all sort of scenario. You as track chairs have
the ability to override any votes, etc... through meaningful discussion.
As someone else mentioned, don't let the tool get in the way :)

> Assume that we as track-chairs for some reason have a tendency to be
> very sceptic about submissions. Then, the submissions moved would have a
> disadvantage by collecting more -1. Similar, if track-chairs are of the
> encouraging kind, the moved submissions would be at an advantage. Even
> if the track chair approach is neutral, the moved talks would be at an
> advantage, as the cut-off will be in the positive range.
>
> I have not seen the ability to leave comments in the tool -- a feature
> that I would consider very helpful (and that I have seen implemented in
> similar activities I have done in the past) -- these could stay. But not
> the votes.
This feature is available at the bottom of every presentation. If you
take a look at the video demo sent out to the track chairs, we detail
how to use this feature and how to recognize when another track chair
has left a comment for you to review.

Additionally, there is an option to reach out to the speakers themselves
if you find you need further clarification.