[Openstack-track-chairs] Call for Speakers Feedback, Next Steps

Florian Haas florian.haas at hastexo.com
Sun Jan 31 20:21:18 UTC 2016

On Sun, Jan 31, 2016 at 5:22 PM, Claire Massey <claire at openstack.org> wrote:
> Hi Stef,
>
> You are correct. The limit of 3 submissions does currently apply to both the
> *submitters* and the *speakers*.
>
> Back when all of the submission requirement changes were being proposed a
> few track chairs did ask for the limit to be placed on the submitters as
> well as speakers. I believe the idea was to encourage people to submit their
> own talks and also place a limit on the marketing departments from making
> mass submissions on behalf of others.

I, for one, am entirely in favor of this change — proposers who can't
be bothered to submit their own talk shouldn't be speaking, and
companies trying to force their speakers to channel submissions
through a designated submitter should be discouraged from interfering
with speaker submissions.

> Since the submission deadline is tomorrow it's a little late in the game to
> change this requirement for Austin submissions - but we can certainly change
> it for Barcelona.

I'm sure there will be further discussion on this post-Summit, but at
least as far as I am concerned, this should not be changed back. I
wonder what others are thinking about this.

Cheers,
Florian