[Openstack-track-chairs] Submitting proposals after closing

Jonathan Bryce jonathan at openstack.org
Sun Feb 7 23:43:38 UTC 2016

First of all, I just want to say that I love seeing all of this discussion on the track chairs list. In summits past it’s sometimes been a little bit quiet around here. = )

On the question of late submissions, I see this as primarily a decision for track chairs. One of the reasons we have always tried to have knowledgable chairs for each track is to make sure that there is strong content across the event. Sometimes this means creating a panel out of a few similar sessions or coaching a promising session that isn’t quite on the mark, sometimes it means recruiting a world class expert on a topic that didn’t know about our event, and sometimes it means bringing in new blood in the form of emerging technologies or marquee users that are just getting involved in the community. I wouldn’t want to see us carelessly circumventing the public submission process that has served us well, but I do believe that ultimately the track chairs should be able to use their collective judgment and wisdom to build the best possible roster for their tracks.

In the case of users specifically, since the call for speakers closes months before the summit, the Foundation staff generally reserve a couple of spots for companies that have new or really compelling stories that come in after that deadline.

It’s awesome to see everyone’s enthusiasm for the process. I really appreciate the effort that you all put into making the OpenStack Summit the best it can be!

Jonathan