[Openstack-track-chairs] the meaning of the 'How to contribute' track

Florian Haas florian.haas at hastexo.com
Wed Aug 19 06:44:30 UTC 2015

Hi Lauren,

just following up briefly to address the question you had for me:

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 11:46 PM, Lauren Sell <lauren at openstack.org> wrote:
>> - Limited speakers per talk. Again, 2-3 would be a reasonable limit,
>> possibly 1 more for hands-on labs.
>
> What about panels, or do you just dislike panels in general?

I am indeed not a big fan of panels, because unless the moderator or
the audience asks really tough questions, I believe they don't add a
lot of value to a conference (or at least, less than a technical
presentation in their place would). That's why in the rare case of
myself being selected as a moderator I tend to play hardball with my
panelists — which only works in some cultures; in others it would be
off-putting on account of perceived rudeness.

But the submission tool could include a separate check box saying
"this is a panel", which would allow more than 3 speakers and also
help us track chairs keep the total number of panels in a track in
check.

Cheers,
Florian