[openstack-tc] Proposed PTG post-lunch presentation schedule

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Thu Aug 23 20:44:25 UTC 2018

On 23/08/18 10:30, Sean McGinnis wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 10:04:42AM +0200, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>> Tony Breeds wrote:
>>> Any chance one of these sessions can be replaced with a TC candidates
>>> Q&A?  It seems like a great opportunity to me.
>>
>> I'd say it's a bit late to add (it was not proposed on the etherpad), and it
>> would need a full 30-min slot (if not more) to yield any interesting
>> result... and I don't see which of the scheduled days we can really free up
>> for that.
>>
>> I think we should schedule that at another time (like at the end of one of
>> the days, before some happy hour). Let me see what our options are...
>>

> There was also a concern raised that doing something like this would give an
> unfair advantage if any potential candidates were not able to attend the PTG in
> person.

I haven't said anything up to this point, but TBH I have even more
concerns than that.

Obviously on one level it would be really interesting to hear from the
candidates, and if I were up for re-election I'd be interested in taking
part. Just the fact that we'd have potentially a large fraction of the
community engaged with the election process instead of only that subset
who have time to seek it out on the -dev list is pretty exciting.

OTOH this is *not* representative of the duties of being a TC member.
We've never done an event like this before and we're never going to one
again. So we're just going to subject this one group of candidates to a
one-off hazing in the form of an in-person real-time Q&A session (in
English) with a live audience?

That doesn't seem conducive to getting a diversity of candidates.