[openstack-tc] No joint leadership meeting around Dublin PTG?

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu Oct 26 14:13:52 UTC 2017

> On Oct 26, 2017, at 9:40 AM, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 26, 2017, at 9:34 AM, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 2017-10-26 09:49:40 +0200 (+0200), Thierry Carrez wrote:
>>> Alan is proposing to go back to having only two formal in-person
>>> "leadership" meetings per year (around Summits).
>> [...]
>>> So for Dublin he is proposing that only the Board meets in Dublin
>>> (probably on Monday).
>> [...]
>>
>> Sounds reasonable, though it's still somewhat of a schedule conflict
>> for those who also like to attend or dial into the board meetings.
>> Regardless, I agree it's probably a reasonable use of resources.
>
> Monday is absolutely a conflict because we still have individual board members who are technical contributors who are likely to be needed at the PTG on Monday.

More detail:

This is the third time for having this scheduling conversation around the Board meeting and the PTG. The first time around we didn’t even want the meeting co-located, but I think that worked out OK during the Denver meeting. That said, the reasons for not holding the meeting during the week haven’t changed.

We have technical contributors serving on the Board, and we don’t want them to have to choose between their Board duties and participating in face-to-face technical discussions that only happen twice each year.

Today at least one of those board members is a PTL (gcb). It’s also common to have cross-over between the Board and the TC (Monty). We will be holding Board elections between now and February, so the individual member makeup of the Board is likely to change. We could have even more schedule conflicts after that election.

Monday, as a cross-project meeting day at the PTG is particularly bad timing because we have had cross-project discussions on Monday and Tuesday, and our stronger community leaders tend to be deeply involved on those days. I don’t know if another day of the week will be better. Friday might be, because things tend to slow down and we are more focused on vertical project teams so that it is conceivably easier for someone to skip conversations that have been put off until the end of the week. On the other hand, we’re still fine-tuning the scheduling for the PTG, so I don’t know if it’s safe to make the assumption that there won’t be cross-project meetings on Friday.

Doug