[openstack-tc] Stepping down

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu Aug 4 13:05:25 UTC 2016

> On Aug 4, 2016, at 6:14 AM, Flavio Percoco <flavio at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> On 04/08/16 09:46 +0200, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>> Morgan Fainberg wrote:
>>> NOTE: Cross-posted to this list as well as the -dev list.
>>>
>>> Based upon my personal time demands among a number of other reasons I
>>> will be stepping down from the Technical Committee. This is planned to
>>> take effect with the next TC election so that my seat will be up to be
>>> filled at that time.
>>>
>>> For those who elected me in, thank you.
>>
>> Hijacking this branch of the thread to discuss how to replace Morgan at
>> next election, since our charter is a bit unclear on that.
>>
>> We have two options:
>>
>> 1/ just renew 7 seats at the fall election (and 6 seats next spring)
>
> I'd prefer #1, tbh. I'd rather have someone elected for the entire period than
> having a temporary member that might not be re-elected on the Northern Spring. 6
> months won't likely be enough for the 7th elected member to shine and be amazing
> and it sounds unfair to me.

While I agree that it’s less than ideal, there are a lot of situations in which a partial term might come up, and we don’t want to rewrite the charter every time we get into a new situation. If Morgan needed to step down right now, or a month or two ago, we would likely have wanted an interim replacement earlier. We should fix up the charter to allow that.

I believe the board has an informal replacement policy of looking back at the last election and taking the next person down the list, don’t they? That seems reasonable for us, too. In this case, since Morgan is going to serve until the election, we should select the 7th from those results to serve a half term. I think this is Thierry’s option 2, isn’t it?