[openstack-tc] Vitrage project

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Nov 30 13:17:25 UTC 2015

AFEK, Ifat (Ifat) wrote:
> My name is Ifat, and I am the PTL of a new project named Vitrage[1][2]. We would like Vitrage to be the Openstack RCA (Root Cause Analysis) Engine for analyzing and expanding OpenStack alarms & events, yielding insights regarding the root cause of problems and deducing the existence of problems before they are directly detected.
>
> We already have this functionality working in production in Alcatel-Lucent CloudBand solution (as proprietary java code), and we started a process of porting it to python.
>
> In a few months from now, once we have something ready, we will ask to become an OpenStack project under the Big Tent. Are there any specific guidelines, processes to follow, things we should consider in advance, etc.? we are trying to do everything "right" from the beginning, to make the process easier later on.
>
> [1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Vitrage
> [2] https://launchpad.net/vitrage

Hi Ifat,

You should look into the requirements for the new project teams:
http://governance.openstack.org/reference/new-projects-requirements.html

You'll find that those are mostly community requirements. The big tent
approach to OpenStack inclusion is that if you help achieving the
OpenStack mission and are part of the OpenStack community (and develop
in the OpenStack way), then you are an OpenStack project.

We further documented the OpenStack culture in the project team guide
(still under development):
http://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/

Those two reference documents should go a long way to explain what we
expect from OpenStack project teams.

Regards,