[openstack-tc] Concern about potential divisive nature of tc election call for questions

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Sep 5 08:42:15 UTC 2014

Anita Kuno wrote:
> Here is my concern, this potentially has the outcome of being divisive.
> Now at the time the idea was suggested and I did agree with the spirit
> of it (to better inform the electorate of the purpose of the tc as well
> as introduce them to candidates they may not know) I felt that the
> elements that bring us together were strong enough to weather a bit of
> divisiveness for the sake of trying a new direction to get our
> participation percentage up. Now I hesitate. Lately I have been more
> aware of those elements that separate us or try to draw us apart moreso
> than those qualities I have felt for so long in that they bring us
> together. My concern is that this well intended exercise may have
> negative consequences and I wanted to share my perspective with you
> prior to taking action.

Here is my thoughts on it: the TC members going for election will post a
platform anyway, explaining why people should elect them. So divisive
questions might emerge anyway. Having a set of "open questions" like
"what are the three most important challenge OpenStack has to face
within the Kilo cycle" limits the potential for division, it just
structures what the candidates include in their nomination email.

I think you and Tristan could come up with a short set of such open
questions yourselves, but if you feel more comfortable asking for
community input (making it clear that you're after open questions to
build a template for candidates self-nomination emails), then you should
pursue that.

> If I am to open a call for questions I would have to do it tomorrow,
> Friday Sept. 5, in order to have the questions open for a week and then
> give Tristan and myself a week to curate a list and have them posted
> with 2 weeks prior to the tc nomination period. A draft timetable
> (without specific timestamps, just days) follows:
> Sept. 5 - 11 - call for questions
> Sept. 12 - 18 - election officials curate submitted questions
> Sept. 19 - 25 (Friday-Thursday) PTL Nominations Open - questions for TC
> candidates posted Sept. 19
> Sept. 26 - Oct. 2 (Friday - Thursday) PTL Election
> Oct. 3 - 9 (Friday - Thursday) TC Nominations Open - TC candidate
> questions due end of day Oct. 9
> Oct. 10 - 16 (Friday - Thursday) TC Election - TC candidate question
> This doesn't leave a lot of time for discussion and direction and I am
> sorry for that, I had hoped I would feel a clear direction on this
> without having to bother everyone during feature freeze week and I just
> don't.

Looking at the timing (and Joe's recent call for Kilo challenges), I
think if you ask for open questions the whole schedule can be pushed
back one week.

Sept. 5 - 11 - Joe gets feedback from his "challenges" question
Sept. 12 - 18 - Ask for open questions for the TC template
Sept. 19 - 25 - PTL Nominations Open - election officials curate
submitted questions
Sept. 26 - Oct. 2 (Friday - Thursday) PTL Election, questions for TC
candidates posted
Oct. 3 - 9 (Friday - Thursday) TC Nominations Open - TC candidate
questions due end of day Oct. 9
Oct. 10 - 16 (Friday - Thursday) TC Election - TC candidate question

That still leaves on week for question curation and two weeks for the TC
candidates to compose their responses, which sounds plenty enough. Your
questions can also benefit from Joe questions answers.

Regards,