[openstack-tc] Topics for the Board/TC joint meeting in Paris

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 16:38:36 UTC 2014

On 10/22/2014 05:09 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Hey members of the TC,
>
> As you know we'll have a joint Board/TC meeting in the afternoon of
> Sunday, November 2 in Paris. Is there any specific topic you'd like to
> see discussed there ?

I'd like to have a discussion with the board about ways in which the
process by which we check for name/copyright issues for new projects can
be streamlined.

This comes out of Thierry's excellent feedback here:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/126582/2/reference/openstack-projects.rst

Where he says "Name checks (calling something openstack/* engages the
Foundation, like it or not)".

In my attempts to rework the charter of the TC and get us out of the
game of picking winners and losers in technical spaces, one of the ideas
is to make the process by which projects can join the openstack/ code
namespace a transparent and objective process -- i.e. an impartial group
can verify that the proposing project meets a set of clear, objectives
criteria and then add them into the openstack/ code namespace.

One of these objective criteria, as Thierry points out, needs to involve
clearance that the project's name does not have any copyright or
trademark baggage associated with it. But, right now, this process is in
the hands of the Foundation (with the general counsel I believe?) and
can be a very lengthy process.

I'd like to talk about ways we can shorten this process.

Best,
-jay