[openstack-tc] Converging in the project structure reform

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Nov 24 08:27:34 UTC 2014

Joe Gordon wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 3:08 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org
> <mailto:thierry at openstack.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hi, fellow TC members,
>
>     After a noisy ML thread, opinionated blogposts, and strawmen on Gerrit,
>     we are at a stage where we seek potential convergence between TC members
>     around a common proposal (before we put it in words and RFC to the wider
>     community). This phase started as informal in-person discussions in
>     Paris, and we set up TC 5-members hangouts (2 so far) to continue that
>     discussion over a high-bandwidth medium. This email summarizes the
>     progress so far for everyone to know.
>
>     Note that there is little point in commenting on this thread, the
>     discussion is still very much at its early stages and we don't know yet
>     what the final proposal will be (nor if it will be truly consensual
>     amongst the TC members). At this point I prefer we continue to solidify
>     it in high-bandwidth discussions between TC members.
>

> I know you said there is little point in commenting on this thread, but
> I do have one comment to add anyway.
>
> While I am excited to see the TC working towards a collective opinion.
> There is one group that I would really like to hear from in this debate,
> the ATC community (including stackforge) as a whole.  IMHO TC members
> and active community members alike are too close to the problem to see
> all perspectives. Furthermore I don't know what the most common
> opinion(s) is on project structure reform.
>
> To that end, I would like to propose polling ATC members to get some
> rough numbers on where the community as a whole stands on this issue.
> Based on the summary below it looks like project structure reform has
> now been broken down into several smaller concrete questions, perhaps we
> can take those and turn them into a poll. The results of this poll would
> naturally be non-binding and only there to help the TC converge on a
> solution.

At this point the "concrete questions" are just artifacts in the
difficult and long process of converging to a potential solution, so I
think it's too early to poll. We haven't even included all TC members in
that discussion yet, and some points are very likely to completely
disappear at the next iteration. I posted this status report for
transparency, but it is far from being anything solid yet.

There have been a number of proposals posted already (in blog posts, on
Gerrit), but mostly by individuals. This exercise is to see if there
could be a middle ground between those individual proposals. I'm
optimistic that there can be (since I would hate to come down to a close
vote on such an important issue), but I fear that polling on
intermediate steps of that discussion will only disrupt that delicate
process and bring us back to a polarized debate where no one will bulge.

I'm hoping we can get to something we can propose and RFC on by the end
of this month.