[openstack-tc] Converging in the project structure reform

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 23:41:14 UTC 2014

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 3:08 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org>
wrote:

> Hi, fellow TC members,
>
> After a noisy ML thread, opinionated blogposts, and strawmen on Gerrit,
> we are at a stage where we seek potential convergence between TC members
> around a common proposal (before we put it in words and RFC to the wider
> community). This phase started as informal in-person discussions in
> Paris, and we set up TC 5-members hangouts (2 so far) to continue that
> discussion over a high-bandwidth medium. This email summarizes the
> progress so far for everyone to know.
>
> Note that there is little point in commenting on this thread, the
> discussion is still very much at its early stages and we don't know yet
> what the final proposal will be (nor if it will be truly consensual
> amongst the TC members). At this point I prefer we continue to solidify
> it in high-bandwidth discussions between TC members.

I know you said there is little point in commenting on this thread, but I
do have one comment to add anyway.

While I am excited to see the TC working towards a collective opinion.
There is one group that I would really like to hear from in this debate,
the ATC community (including stackforge) as a whole.  IMHO TC members and
active community members alike are too close to the problem to see all
perspectives. Furthermore I don't know what the most common opinion(s) is
on project structure reform.

To that end, I would like to propose polling ATC members to get some rough
numbers on where the community as a whole stands on this issue. Based on
the summary below it looks like project structure reform has now been
broken down into several smaller concrete questions, perhaps we can take
those and turn them into a poll. The results of this poll would naturally
be non-binding and only there to help the TC converge on a solution.