[openstack-tc] Meeting to develop a straw man set of designated sections

John Dickinson me at not.mn
Fri Mar 21 22:49:58 UTC 2014

I have a couple of questions that came to mind while I was reviewing the wiki and figuring out what to put into the etherpad.

First, it seems that all of the "core capabilities" are exposed by a ["single"|"set of"] tempest tests. This means that 6.13 ("Consumers must have a way to determine how the system is different from reference (posted, discovered, etc)") must be something that is able to be determined by tempest, right?

If that is the case, here is my question: How does this work? Doesn't tempest do functional tests of the API? So what if a "designated section" isn't visible to the API? How is it tested by tempest and how is it therefore in or out of core?

These questions lead me to one of two possibilities: (1) "OpenStack Core" is only related to an external API or (2) Tempest will significantly change to do more invasive tests[1]. Can someone provide some guidance here?

(I hesitate to provide a specific use case here, although I do have one, because I'd like the answer to the general case.)

Second, and more of a high-level issue, section 8.1 says that there will be an OpenStack body which recommends which tests are "must-pass". Section 9.1 implies that the DefCore team has some influence here (the recommendations pass through this group). Who is this group, and why is it not automatically the core-team/PTLs (passing through the TC)?

--John

[1] By "invasive tests" I mean tests that know about (and perhaps modify) internal cluster state in the course of testing. These types of tests are extremely valuable, but are not what tempest does today, AFAIK.