[openstack-tc] Draft bylaws changes from DefCore bylaws subcommittee

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Fri Mar 14 13:39:32 UTC 2014

On 03/13/2014 05:58 PM, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-03-13 at 17:07 +0000, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
>> Hey
>>
>> I haven't been following this committee's progress and I can't speak to
>> the rationale here, but a draft set of bylaws changes are being
>> discussed by the committee:
>>
>>   http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/defcore-committee/2014-March/000040.html
>>
>> This part is obviously going to be something of interest to the TC:
>>
>>     (c) (i)  The Technical Committee shall have the authority to
>>              determine the scope of the OpenStack Project subject to the
>>              procedures described below.
>>
>>        (ii)  The Technical Committee shall propose a process or
>>              procedure to determine the scope of the OpenStack Project.
>>              The Board of Directors may propose modifications to such
>>              process or procedure but such modifications must be
>>              approved by the Technical Committee. After the Technical
>>              Committee has approved the final process or procedure for
>>              determining the scope of the OpenStack Project and the
>>              Board of Directors has approved such process or procedure,
>>              the Board of Directors shall set the date on which such
>>              process or procedure becomes effective and the first such
>>              date shall be defined as the OSP New Definition Date.
>>              After the OSP New Definition Date, the Technical Committee
>>              may propose modifications to such process and procedure.
>>              The Board of Directors shall consider such modifications
>>              and may approve or disapprove them. If the Board of
>>              Directors approves such modifications, the modified process
>>              and procedure shall become the method for determining the
>>              scope of the OpenStack Project on the effective date set by
>>              the Board of Directors.  The process or procedure shall be
>>              described in reasonable detail in the minutes of the Board
>>              of Directors which approved it. After such approval, the
>>              Secretary shall post such description to the Foundation’s
>>              website.
>>
>> Just on a call with the committee here and it seems the intent is to
>> change the process around OpenStack capabilities associated with the
>> trademark (i.e. what we now call "Core") as opposed to changing the
>> process around adding new projects to the integrated release.
>>
>> However, right now I think we equate "the OpenStack Project" to the
>> integrated release, so the actual wording does suggest a change to the
>> TC's authority.
>
> I had to drop from that call early to pick up my daughter from daycare,
> but Mark Radcliffe followed up later with:
>
>   "I appreciate your comments at the Bylaws committee meeting.  We don't
>   want to have the TC misunderstand the reasons for the bylaws change or
>   their consequences. These changes are focused solely on determining
>   how and when the trademark can be used.  We want to ensure that the TC
>   has an active role in the decisions.  Consequently, we will shift back
>   to the use of "core" for these procedures being set up.   However, as
>   I noted,  a number of members of DefCore Committee have expressed a
> [...]

Yes, I'm still having a hard time understanding this in a way that
separates it completely from our current processes for managing the
integrated release.  Based on the feedback you got, it sounds like the
intention is for something completely separate from that process.  If
so, I think the wording needs some work to clarify that.

--
Russell Bryant