[openstack-tc] Draft bylaws changes from DefCore bylaws subcommittee

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Thu Mar 13 17:07:52 UTC 2014

Hey

I haven't been following this committee's progress and I can't speak to
the rationale here, but a draft set of bylaws changes are being
discussed by the committee:

  http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/defcore-committee/2014-March/000040.html

This part is obviously going to be something of interest to the TC:

    (c) (i)  The Technical Committee shall have the authority to
             determine the scope of the OpenStack Project subject to the
             procedures described below.

       (ii)  The Technical Committee shall propose a process or
             procedure to determine the scope of the OpenStack Project.
             The Board of Directors may propose modifications to such
             process or procedure but such modifications must be
             approved by the Technical Committee. After the Technical
             Committee has approved the final process or procedure for
             determining the scope of the OpenStack Project and the
             Board of Directors has approved such process or procedure,
             the Board of Directors shall set the date on which such
             process or procedure becomes effective and the first such
             date shall be defined as the OSP New Definition Date.
             After the OSP New Definition Date, the Technical Committee
             may propose modifications to such process and procedure.
             The Board of Directors shall consider such modifications
             and may approve or disapprove them. If the Board of
             Directors approves such modifications, the modified process
             and procedure shall become the method for determining the
             scope of the OpenStack Project on the effective date set by
             the Board of Directors.  The process or procedure shall be
             described in reasonable detail in the minutes of the Board
             of Directors which approved it. After such approval, the
             Secretary shall post such description to the Foundation’s
             website.

Just on a call with the committee here and it seems the intent is to
change the process around OpenStack capabilities associated with the
trademark (i.e. what we now call "Core") as opposed to changing the
process around adding new projects to the integrated release.

However, right now I think we equate "the OpenStack Project" to the
integrated release, so the actual wording does suggest a change to the
TC's authority.

Mark.