[openstack-tc] [OpenStack-TC] Block Storage abstractions in Cinder

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Mon Jul 14 23:39:26 UTC 2014

We have a similar (but I suspect less severe) issue in nova -- some
companies have chose to provide what I will call "cluster drivers",
which are drivers that make calls to their existing clustering
solutions. So vmware for example is built so we don't have a
nova-compute per hypervisor node, but one per cluster, and then rely
on vsphere to do all the cluster leg work. This isn't as bad as it
sounds like it is in cinder, but is still a watering down in the value
of nova.

I'm not completely opposed to this model -- ironic does something
similar for example -- but I do feel we're on a slippery slope and
need to be careful.

Michael

Rackspace Australia