[openstack-tc] Discussion about a new umbrella / project for consumer / user experience

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Fri Jan 24 20:10:32 UTC 2014

On 01/24/2014 01:52 PM, Jesse Noller wrote:

> On Jan 24, 2014, at 12:43 PM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:
>
>> Doug Hellmann wrote:
>>> I was speaking with Dean Troyer earlier today about putting together an
>>> incubation request for an SDK program to hose the unified CLI (as a
>>> scripting SDK) and client libraries (starting with python and expanding
>>> to other languages later).
>>
>> Please note that currently the Python client libraries are *not* part of
>> the common release. They release whenever they want, and follow a
>> different maintenance/branch model (the so-called "always use the
>> latest" model). If the outputs of that SDK program are the same, I don't
>> think they need to go through "incubation", since they won't become part
>> of the common release.
>
> To answer to this: yes, a Unified SDK and CLI would follow the same model: it would have to release more frequently than core by its very nature.
>

>> They could file to become a Program. That said, if the group exists, but
>> I'm not sure it's operational yet, so it might fail the "Team must
>> already exist, have regular meetings and produce some work" requirement?
>>

> Very good: I’ll let Doug poke Dean, but for the SDK work, I will get the team working publicly, and start scheduling meetings. Recommendations on if we should stackforge now, or later?

My suggestion is start on stackforge now. We know the direction this
wants to head, and it's better to get it functioning like an openstack
project from day one, as it will mean way less friction in making it
officially something (be it a program / project / whatever) down the road.

And, I, for one, am very excited to see energy going into this.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
Samsung Research America