[openstack-tc] Discussion about a new umbrella / project for consumer / user experience

Jesse Noller jesse.noller at RACKSPACE.COM
Fri Jan 24 18:52:40 UTC 2014

On Jan 24, 2014, at 12:43 PM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:

> Doug Hellmann wrote:
>> I was speaking with Dean Troyer earlier today about putting together an
>> incubation request for an SDK program to hose the unified CLI (as a
>> scripting SDK) and client libraries (starting with python and expanding
>> to other languages later).
>
> Please note that currently the Python client libraries are *not* part of
> the common release. They release whenever they want, and follow a
> different maintenance/branch model (the so-called "always use the
> latest" model). If the outputs of that SDK program are the same, I don't
> think they need to go through "incubation", since they won't become part
> of the common release.

To answer to this: yes, a Unified SDK and CLI would follow the same model: it would have to release more frequently than core by its very nature.

> They could file to become a Program. That said, if the group exists, but
> I'm not sure it's operational yet, so it might fail the "Team must
> already exist, have regular meetings and produce some work" requirement?

Very good: I’ll let Doug poke Dean, but for the SDK work, I will get the team working publicly, and start scheduling meetings. Recommendations on if we should stackforge now, or later?