[openstack-tc] Discussion about a new umbrella / project for consumer / user experience

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Jan 24 18:50:13 UTC 2014

Jesse Noller wrote:
> That’s definitely fair: I’ll focus on the unified SDK project alone then, get that set up with regular meetings/etc and coordinate with Dean on the CLI project which should probably be moved out of oslo.

Basically, in OpenStack the structure reflects what people work on,
rather than the other way around. We can adjust the structure when teams
regroup.

>> In summary, I'd really like we have a team working on unified CLI. But
>> me saying it won't make it happen. A group of people working on that
>> will make it happen. That group should form, self-organize, and start
>> working on stuff. If the overlap between that team and another existing
>> team is very large, then it will make sense for them to regroup. If not,
>> they should exist as a separate team. Once that team starts producing
>> outputs, it can apply to be recognized as an official program (which
>> would make a lot of sense to me).
>
> Ok; I think the big thing is “is there a general resistance to the idea” - meaning, an overarching UX program with specific deliverables - from what you say here it seems like starting the SDK as a stand alone is OK, openstackclient is already there, but the problem remains with other UX / quality of life issues (security, i18n, accessibility) which pour into more of a cross-functional role.

Note that Security (as in vulnerability response) is already handled by
the Vulnerability Management Team as part of the Release Management
program. If you have UX concerns to share about that aspect, feel free
to contact us via regular channels (the -tc list is not the best place
to discuss stuff since it's a moderated list).