[openstack-tc] recommendation to deprecate XML in new major API versions

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue Jan 14 14:20:12 UTC 2014

On 01/14/2014 09:03 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Added to the TC backlog.
>
> Note: while we know that this is unlikely to be very productive, we
> still need to discuss that in public rather than on a moderated ML... so
> I propose we reuse the openstack-dev Nova v3 API no-xml thread to
> further discuss that. If for any reason the discussion there ends up way
> too nova-specific, we should probably have a specific thread about this
> universal "recommendation" sometimes next week.

So I am definitely going to keep driving those threads on open lists as
well. However, the way these conversations have gone in the past is in
circles, then petering out. And we never decided anything other than
status quo.

As I'm responsible for part of the status quo I think it's important to
be deliberate about this, not inertial.

I think this is very much in the realm of technical direction for the
overall project, so at the end of the day should be a TC decision. It
should come with as much feedback as people want, however you will never
get a decision out of the mailing lists, you'll just get feedback.

The role of the TC is to make these kinds of recommendations. So the
reason for taking it here as well is:
 - ensure this is something we could do before icehouse release
 - ensure that if there is specific information people feel they need
before making a decision, we figure out what that is, so we can go and
get it

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague