[openstack-tc] The missing whys of incubation / integration requirements

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Mon Apr 14 11:41:26 UTC 2014

When reviewing some additional changes to the governance repository it's
really striking that this is mostly a like of "whats", with the "whys"
very must left as an exercise to the reader. Some of the "whys" are
captured in git commit message, but reconstructing them over time is
going to be more and more challenging.

I feel like some of the disconnect we saw with Marconi were because the
whys were missing, and the whats were being treated as a strict check
list. Honestly, I feel that if we explain the whys in the document, we
might not need to specify quite so many individual rules, as they would
more naturally flow from some general principles with rationales.

There would be another benefit of spending some time putting the
rationales directly into the document, which is when things change in
the future a future TC can realize that a set of rules no longer apply
because the rationale is no longer valid or true.

So the question is: how do people feel about changing the tone of this
document to include the rationales baked directly into it?

If the answer is general positive, I can take a spin on it. But want at
least some nod before moving forward.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague