[openstack-tc] upgrade testing expectation

Eoghan Glynn eglynn at redhat.com
Thu Apr 10 16:01:19 UTC 2014

> > Sean Dague wrote:
> > > I've proposed another add to the expectations post graduation to the
> > > governance repo - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/86162/
> > >
> > > This was in the original QA requirements proposal, however when that got
> > > restructured, it got lost somewhere. Also happy to discuss it if there
> > > are any concerns.
> > >
> > > As a scorecard today the following projects participate in upgrade
> > > testing:
> > >
> > >  * Nova
> > >  * Swift
> > >  * Keystone
> > >  * Glance
> > >  * Cinder
> > >  * Horizon
> > >  * Neutron (new as of this week)
> > >
> > > Projects that don't (yet)
> > >  * Heat
> > >  * Ceilometer

Hi Sean,

Thanks for raising this.

Can I clarify one related point, whether grenade is intended
primarily to catch intrinsic or extrinsic upgrade issues?

Or both?

Intrinsic in this context would for example be service A failing
post-upgrade due to a bad DB schema migration.

Whereas extrinsic would for example be service A failing post-
upgrade because some dependency/assumption with respect to
service B is now broken.

I ask because ceilometer when used with a "schema free" storage
driver may be more likely to suffer from extrinsic issues on
upgrade as opposed to intrinsic (e.g. nova changes a notification
payload between versions, as opposed to a failed db-sync as that
wouldn't even arise).

But surely such integration issues should have been caught in
advance via the normal Tempest testing of master-versus-master,
and wouldn't necessarily require the big-bang stable-to-master
approach of grenade to smoke out?

Or am I missing something obvious here?

Thanks,
Eoghan