[openstack-tc] Proposal to recognize indirect contributions to our code base

Nicolas Barcet nicolas at barcet.com
Mon Nov 11 14:20:20 UTC 2013

Dear TC members,

Our companies are actively encouraging our respective customers to have the
patches they mission us to make be contributed back upstream.  In order to
encourage this behavior from them and others, it would be nice that if
could gain some visibility as "sponsors" of the patches in the same way we
get visibility as "authors" of the patches today.

The goal here is not to provide yet another way to count affiliations of
direct contributors, nor is it a way to introduce sales pitches in contrib.
 The only acceptable and appropriate use of the proposal we are making is
to signal when a patch made by a contributor for another comany than the
one he is currently employed by.

For example if I work for a company A and write a patch as part of an
engagement with company B, I would signal that Company B is the sponsor of
my patch this way, not Company A.  Company B would under current
circumstances not get any credit for their indirect contribution to our
code base, while I think it is our intent to encourage them to contribute,
even indirectly.

To enable this, we are proposing that the commit text of a patch may
include a
   sponsored-by: <sponsorname>
line which could be used by various tools to report on these commits.
 Sponsored-by should not be used to report on the name of the company the
contributor is already affiliated to.

We would appreciate to see your comments on the subject and eventually get
your approval for it's use.

Boris Rensky, Tristan Goode, Nick Barcet