[openstack-tc] amending Trove incubation to support NRDB

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Jul 30 09:55:39 UTC 2013

Michael Basnight wrote:
> Rackspace is interested in creating a redis implementation for Trove, as well as haomai wang is looking to leverage Trove for leveldb integration. Ive done a proof of concept for redis and it was ~200 lines of guest impl code and I had to make one small change to the core create API, but one that will be the new default for creating instances. It was adding a return of a root password. the other differences were the /users and /databases extensions for mysql were not working (for obvious reasons). The reason NRDB was not originally part of Trove was a decision that there was nothing to show that it has a valid impl without substantial differences to the API/core system [1]. See around 20:35:42. Originally we had petitioned for a RDDB / NRDB system [2].
>
> The path for it is to basically add a redis.py to the guest impl and to instruct the api that redis is the default (config file). Then the api/functionality behaves the same. Feel free to ask questions on list before the tc meeting!
>
> [1] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/tc/2013/tc.2013-04-30-20.02.log.html
> [2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/ReddwarfAppliesForIncubation#Summary:

Note that this is a bit late for consideration in today's TC meeting (as
we are supposed to let public discussion on a topic for a few days
before taking any decision on them), so the decision on it will have to
wait until August 6th.

That said, if we have some time left today, we can still raise the topic
within the Open Discussion section.