[openstack-tc] [Foundation Board] Spider "What is Core" Discussion Continued - Monday 7/15 1-3pm Central

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Thu Jul 11 17:28:29 UTC 2013

On 07/11/2013 01:10 PM, Joshua McKenty wrote:
> And now we get to the meat of the matter. The original definition of
> FITS was as a joint effort by the TC and the board - since it's as
> inappropriate for the TC to define "interoperability" outside of board
> involvement, as it is for the board to determine the architecture
> required to be considered a "plugin".
>
> The only mechanism that the foundation (being the TC, the Board, and the
> User Committee, as well as the larger member body) has to enforce
> interoperability, is the trademark policy. But the decisions of which
> features, components, etc. *must* or *may* be supported in a given
> product or service in order to wear a particular mark, are primarily a
> business decision - despite the technical details.
>
> As a final caveat, while the TC approves a single integrated release, I
> suspect the board will continue to authorize a set of marks to be
> applied to services and products - although I imagine the current
> "OpenStack Storage", "OpenStack Compute", "Powered By" and "Built For"
> will likely expand and evolve.

Yup. I agree with all of the above. I think the real trick around
requirements is not unique to here. We've all dealt with product
managers who try to dictate implementation too much - I regularly work
with theatre directors who give me notes like "I really want some red
light in this scene" when what they _should_ be telling me is "the main
character is having a climactic crisis at this moment that I'd really
like to drive home" The second let's me do my job as a lighting
designer, and amusingly enough is actually closer to the way the
director is thinking about the problem in the first place

So, the TC needs from the board the requirements, the definitions of the
problem, the REAL thing we're trying to do. Does the board care about
plugins or API extensions? No. The board wants to ensure that vendors
can deliver products related to openstack in a particular manner. And
actually, the discussion around what we want that to look like, outside
of technical implementation of how we achieve it, is super interesting.

Do we, for instance, want vendors to be able to deploy a cloud, call it
OpenStack, and present a different interface to the user? An API
extension is an implementation of a way to allow people to run openstack
clouds with divergent interfaces. Another way is via discoverable
capabilities. Alternately, the board could decide, NOPE, 4 clouds with 4
different interfaces do not help the business goals of OpenStack, we do
not want that. If the board made that decision, the TC would need to
figure out what that means for the kvm/xen divergence and things like
metadata vs. configdrive vs injections - which are all different
end-user interfaces.

The board and the TC each have super important roles here, and I
definitely agree we need to work together on them.