[openstack-tc] J naming poll

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Dec 16 16:23:33 UTC 2013

Anne Gentle wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 10:58 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org
> <mailto:thierry at openstack.org>> wrote:
>
>     Mark McLoughlin wrote:
>     > On Thu, 2013-12-12 at 10:40 -0500, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>     >> It seems like part of the problem is with the tooling. Do we need
>     this vote
>     >> to be as secure as PTL or TC elections? Would a tool like survey
>     monkey be
>     >> easier to work with for this case?
>     >
>     > Yeah, I'm kind of thinking the same - I'd prefer this to be open
>     to the
>     > widest possible audience and I'm not too worried about gaming.
>     >
>     > So, I'd tend to prefer (1) ... except the IP address limitation is
>     > unfortunate.
>
>     SurveyMonkey is definitely an option (where we'd post the link to the
>     public poll on the openstack ML). Let's call that new option 1b.
>
>     At this point I'm hesitating between 1b and "2b with anteaya running
>     it". 1b would certainly reinforce the 'fun' part of it. It's not
>     supposed to be a pain.
>

> completely agree. It's supposed to be fun, make it as easy as possible
> to set up and vote.

OK, agree that we should prefer fun and be inclusive for this one. That
leaves:

* Public CIVS poll with link sent on OpenStack ML
One vote per IP might bite corporate firewalls

* SurveyMonkey with link sent on OpenStack ML
Pretty neutral option

* Vote to the Foundation membership
Direct email makes it "less fun", also more work to implement

At this point I think the closest to what we ran in the past and the
less effort would be the SurveyMonkey option. It lets you rank the
choices so we don't have to trim the list of candidates that much.