[openstack-tc] J naming poll

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Dec 12 13:24:18 UTC 2013

Hi fellow members of the TC,

We now have a set of 10 potential names for the J release [1], and need
to pick the best method to select the winner. Historically we held a
Launchpad poll (~openstack group) over a refined set of 4-5 options. The
problem is, we don't really use the Launchpad ~openstack group anymore
(used to be the subscribers to the openstack ML) and the group was
therefore closed... so that's no longer the "less worse" option.

A few proposed solutions:

1. "Public" CIVS vote, accessible to everyone with the link
Easy to set up, but vote is limited to one per IP address, which can
block legitimate voters while encouraging ballot stuffing.

2a. Private CIVS vote, link sent to openstack-dev subscribers
A bit painful to set up (need to extract the 2926 subscribers emails,
then feed them to CIVS by batches of less than 1000), but at least it's
not gameable. One difference is that receiving a private vote email will
result in more participation than the only-announced-on-ML Launchpad poll.

2b. Private CIVS vote, link sent to openstack list subscribers
More painful to set up (8573 members), and CIVS advises against being
used to run above "a couple thousands voters". That said it's probably
the closest to the people who voted in the past (general list).

3. Launchpad poll over ~openstack
The OpenStack group is still there, so technically we could still refine
the list to 4-5 candidates and set up a poll there. It's not as good as
Condorcet though, and would be more like "the people who used to vote in
previous names" than "the people who should vote now".

4a. Screw popular voting, let's do a TC members condorcet
Easy option. Might be seen as TC power landgrab, and it was funny to let
the "people" decide.

4b. Screw voting, let's pick Jekyll and be done with it
A variant of the previous option in case of consensus.

I'm open to other suggestions :)

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/ReleaseNaming