[openstack-tc] Designation of TC Chair

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Oct 1 09:24:24 UTC 2012

Hello members of the new Technical Committee!

(Please keep Dan in CC: since he did not join the list yet)

We have one thing to decide quickly which is to select the TC Chair.

This role is defined in the Foundation bylaws[1] and the TC Charter[2].
The TC chair is responsible for making sure meetings are held according
to the rules of the charter, and for communicating the decisions taken
during those meetings to the Board of Directors and the OpenStack
community at large. Basically, he organizes and chairs the meetings,
sends out minutes, maintains the TC wiki pages [3], keeps track of the
Active Technical Contributors roster, etc.

I have been filling the TC Chair duties during all the TC setup phase,
and would be happy to continue to do so. I happen to know the TC rules
well, since I wrote them. If someone else is interested by the role (or
more people), please say so and we can have a quick vote to decide this.

Once we come up with our nominee, the Foundation Board needs to formally
approve the person (and "shall do so absent Cause").

Once that's cleared up, the Chair should organize the first meetings,
determine the best meeting time (shall we keep the old PPB meeting
time?) and tackle the urgent issues (like designating our User committee
representative).

[1] http://wiki.openstack.org/Governance/Foundation/Bylaws
[2] http://wiki.openstack.org/Governance/Foundation/TechnicalCommittee
[3] http://wiki.openstack.org/Governance/TechnicalCommittee