[Openstack-stable-maint] Icehouse freeze exception request

Claudiu Belu cbelu at cloudbasesolutions.com
Mon Sep 29 23:10:38 UTC 2014

Hello,

It seems the performance issue with the switft ceilometer middleware is not new, it was raised before:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ceilometer/+bug/1337761
Which was abandoned with the Reason: The swift middleware is the site of much need for change, and this change in particular is pretty minor compared to those other needs.

And discussions regarding the fate of the swift middleware. It is quite long:
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-July/041522.html

It seems that the swift middleware will have to change quite a bit in the future to address the performance issue, and it could take a while and won't make it in Icehouse 2014.1.3.

I think Eoghan Glynn should be consulted on this matter as well, since he is a ceilometer core and he participated in the discussions and should be able to tell if this commit should be accepted as a FFE.

Still, IMO, a 10-20% performance drop is still better than not working.

I say it's worthy.

+1