[Openstack-stable-maint] Possibility of accidental merge commits in stable backports

Alan Pevec apevec at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 16:31:15 UTC 2014

> In short, be on the lookout for any backport change which is
> actually the same Git SHA as on the master branch (probably the most
> obvious sign will be lack of a cherry-pick header in the commit
> message, since changes to the commit message also change the Git
> SHA). Currently Gerrit won't protect us from someone proposing a
> change from one branch to another if the parent commit of that
> change is already in the former branch, even though it's not (yet)
> in the latter.

Nice one, thanks for the heads up Jeremy. Any ideas how to check git
history for those?
But I guess it would have been noticed, master and stable branches are
different enough.

Just in case, I've added an explicit note[1] about the additional
reason cherry-pick -x required, it was implicit by example and stable
reviewers have been enforcing it already.

Cheers,
Alan

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/w/index.php?title=StableBranch&diff=63196&oldid=62527