[Openstack-stable-maint] py34 on stable/* ?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Sep 5 13:04:15 UTC 2014

On 2014-09-05 14:09:36 +0200 (+0200), Alan Pevec wrote:
> I assume adding py34 env on stable branches was a mistake or is there
> more to this than what's in the commit message?
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/q/branch:stable/havana+topic:py34,n,z
> https://review.openstack.org/#/q/branch:stable/icehouse+topic:py34,n,z

These are mainly belt-and-suspenders in case any projects are
running unit tests for Python 3.3 on their stable release branches,
since we will soon (within a week or two hopefully) be dropping the
custom platform we've been using for that and switching all those
jobs to run with Python 3.4 instead. I was already mostly
machine-generating the patches to projects to increase 3.4
visibility to developers anywhere 3.3 was being used, but you can
feel free to ignore the proposed stable branch changes if you like.

Just be aware that any stable branches of projects previously tested
on 3.3 (if there are any) will either need to work on 3.4 or have
their Py3K tests dropped entirely since we won't be supporting any
test infrastructure which can run 3.3-based jobs. Luckily, so far
most of the projects which work on 3.3 and have voting jobs for it
are clients and libraries which don't participate in integrated
releases or have stable branches, so this may be a complete
non-issue.

The proposed patches are there in case you want them, but use your
best judgement and I encourage you to double-check whether you have
gate-{name}-python33 jobs currently voting on any potentially
affected projects. Since we've not, as a project, declared victory
on Py3K compliance, it is of course entirely legitimate to just
blacklist those jobs from any stable branch commits through Icehouse
so that we'll never run them there (and in a month or so we can
discuss whether there's any point in running them on Juno either).
--
Jeremy Stanley