[Openstack-stable-maint] Neutron backports for security group performance

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Oct 29 12:52:00 UTC 2014

Ihar Hrachyshka wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> there is a series of Neutron backports in the Juno queue that are
> intended to significantly improve service performance when handling
> security groups (one of the issues that are main pain points of
> current users):
>
> - https://review.openstack.org/130101
> - https://review.openstack.org/130098
> - https://review.openstack.org/130100
> - https://review.openstack.org/130097
> - https://review.openstack.org/130105
>
> The first four patches are optimizing db side (controller), while the
> last one is to avoid fetching security group rules by OVS agent when
> firewall is disabled.
>
> AFAIK we don't generally backport performance improvements unless they
> are very significant (though I don't see anything written in stone
> that says so), but knowing that those patches fix pain hotspots in
> Neutron, and seem rather isolated, should we consider their inclusion?
>
> Should we come up with some "official" rule on how we handle
> performance enhancement backports?

I personally think performance enhancements are off the table for stable
backports. It's really a trade-off between exposing our users to
regressions and fixing bugs, and performance enhancements IMHO fall
below the bar.

I'm adding that topic to the stable branch discussion at the summit, though.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)