[Openstack-stable-maint] Stable exception

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri May 23 10:23:42 UTC 2014

Mark McClain wrote:
> I’d like propose that we grant an exception for new configuration options for these backports to stable/icehouse
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/88437/
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/90626/

Hi!

So far we excluded the addition of new configuration options in stable
release patches, because a "release" is defined by a stable feature set,
which is documented and communicated in various books and articles. As
soon as we add new features, we introduce confusion regarding what
"Icehouse" is, how it behaves and how it is configured. Some downstream
distributions will adopt the new feature, some won't...

I'm therefore very opposed to the idea of backporting features. New
configuration options are generally new features, so they generally fall
in that category... But then we can grant exceptions, provided that all
the stable branch stakeholders like the proposed patch.

Looking at the proposed exception, it adds a nova_api_insecure option
(default to False) and a nova_ca_certificates_file option (default to
None) that are then passed to the novaclient constructor. Default
behavior is preserved. So it boils down to the bugs we are actually
solving by adding those parameters:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1306822
https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1309694

Those bugs describe the missing options, but do not do a great job of
describing the impact of not having them. My guess is that without those
parameters, you have to rely on system certificates (as you can't
provide your own and you can't disable the check). Is that a correct
assumption ? Who is impacted by these bugs ?

If my interpretation is correct, then this falls a bit in a grey area:
it is a "feature" to allow your own certificate to be provided, but it
could be seen as a bug (feature gap) if Neutron was the only project in
Icehouse not having that feature (and people would generally expect
those parameters to be present). Is Neutron the only project that misses
those parameters ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)