[Openstack-stable-maint] stable/havana status WAS Re: Question

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed Jan 22 19:02:15 UTC 2014

On 01/22/2014 01:42 PM, Gary Kotton wrote:

> On 1/22/14 8:29 PM, "Sean Dague" <sean at dague.net> wrote:

>>> I asked that question before, and at this point it's not possible, as
>>> stable branch commits may affect master tests.
>>>
>>> That said, it's something we should explore. Same for milestone-proposed
>>> branch. If there is a way to isolate it from the master gate queue, that
>>> would solve a lot of release-related time-sensitive issues.
>>
>> This would need some really clever logic to ensure that we weren't
>> breaking upgrades. I think it's something that someone could investigate
>> for zuul additions. In the general case it would mean zuul would need to
>> support dynamic queue merge, when we realize we have a set of branches
>> in flight that actually need upgrade path tested across them.
>
> Not sure I really underhand that. The stable got branches we have are not
> included in the main branches. Are you referring to the infra?

Right now, branch isn't a construct that zuul knows about in scheduling.
If it was, they way the interdependent queue gets built would need to
change.

For instance, landing grizzly changes, and master changes could happen
in separate pipes, because there is no upgrade path between them (there
is an upgrade path through havana, but we're not changing havana in
either case).

However if someone enqueues a havana change, we'd need to join those
queues. Because now we have something that can be impacted in it's
testing by in flight grizzly changes, and can impact in flight master
changes.

So it would introduce the idea of multiple parent changes in zuul. Which
is all probably doable, but it's logic that doesn't exist.

Unless you don't care about upgrades (which is basically currently the
#1 most important thing to our users, so I'm going to say we do care
about upgrades), you can't run the queues separately. Honestly we should
be doing more upgrade testing with the proposed branches, which we
don't. We still have a few exposed surfaces here where you can thread
the needle and get an upgrade breaking change into a stable branch for
forward upgrading.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague