[Openstack-stable-maint] 2013.2.2 exception requests

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Thu Feb 13 14:58:21 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 11:44:58PM +0100, Alan Pevec wrote:
> Copying authors of tempest patches referenced below + few Tempest core
> members who might be interested.
>
> >> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/72754/
> > That's a good candidate for exception, and I see Neutron stable-maint
> > members already approved but it's failing *-isolated gate jobs.
> > I'll try throwing dice few more times, but could someone familiar have a look?
> > What are those jobs doing?
>
> Ihar commented in the review: " I suspect tempest lacks some of those
> ssh.py fixes from master:
> c3128c085c2635d82c4909d1be5d016df4978632
> ad7ef7d1bdd98045639ee4045144c8fe52853e76
> 31a91a605a25f578b51a7bed2df8fde5c5f49ffc
> I'm not sure this would be enough to stabilize gate though."
>
> Gary, Attila, Joe - would you like to backport your patches to
> stable/havana Tempest?
> Do you agree they should improve gate stability and is there anything
> else to be backported to stabilize *-isolated gate jobs?

So honestly I'd probably recommend disabling the isolated neutron gate jobs for
the stable/havana branch. Getting that working stably has been a goal that we've
been working on for the whole cycle. Which included many improvements on the
neutron side, more recently:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/61964/
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/63100/
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/63558/
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/66736/
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/65838/
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/66899/
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/66928/
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/67475/

and numerous changes to tempest as well:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/66871/
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/66970/
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/67218/
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/67172/
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/67108/
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/64217/
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/67371/

Those are just the patches from the Montreal code sprint to improve things, so
there was definitely more that was done to improve the isolated jobs.

There were also infra/nova changes required to disable file injection which
fixed a kernel panic that was also breaking the isolated jobs on neutron as
well. Only recently, as in the last week, has the isolated job been stable
enough on master(after the file injection changes) that I enabled it for all
the neutron jobs and removed the isolated jobs.

I think most of this work (probably not the file injection on the infra side) is
too large for backporting. So we probably should try disabling file injection on
the jobs and see if that improves things, if it doesn't then I really think we
probably should just pull the isolated jobs.

-Matt Treinish