[Openstack-stable-maint] Controversial backport

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Aug 19 09:35:32 UTC 2014

Gary Kotton wrote:
> I think that only in exceptional cases should we allow changing of default
> configuration variables. This may break existing setups. I am not in favor
> of this back port.

I tend to agree with Gary here.

IIUC this is an old bug -- if people encountered it they probably have
switched that configuration option to True a long time ago. It's also
very easy for downstream consumers to carry the difference if they care
(they ship customized config files anyway).

Contrast that with breaking existing setups that may rely on that
feature... We trade a known evil for a new, unknown one.

We also don't mark a config option deprecated in the middle of a stable
branch. It's either deprecated at release time, or at the next release
time. We can't retroactively deprecate.

Some aspects of that patch may still be acceptable though
(neutron/db/db_base_plugin_v2.py) and we could document that we
recommend people turn that option to True in the next point release
releasenotes.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)