[Openstack-stable-maint] Merges to stable/folsom

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Tue Jan 29 11:38:26 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-01-29 at 13:26 +0200, Gary Kotton wrote:
> On 01/29/2013 01:02 PM, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> > Hi Dave,
> >
> > On Tue, 2013-01-29 at 10:31 +0000, Daviey Walker wrote:
> >> Hi Mark,
> >>
> >> Hope you are well.
> >>
> >> You've probably noticed that I accepted a few merges to stable/folsom.
> >>   I spotted on a comment for one that stable/folsom was in freeze until
> >> this Thursday.  I didn't realise this, which is why you will have seen
> >> a few land today.
> >>
> >> I apologise for this, and whilst i'm confident they were safe and the
> >> regression potential is low; I am willing to help solve any issues
> >> this causes (Including backing them out).
> > Thanks for the heads-up. Partly my bad, I should have been keeping a
> > closer watch out.
>
> My understanding is that the release date is the 31st. I do not recall
> any update about the stable branch being in a frozen state. At last
> nights Quantums meeting I mentioned that I was planning to backport some
> patches and there were no objections.

On Jan 22:

  http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-stable-maint/2013-January/000282.html

  2012.2.3 is scheduled for January 31st. I'm planning on calling
  whatever we have on January 25th a RC and getting aggressive about
  punting anything risky until the next release.

and:

  http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/project/2013/project.2013-01-22-21.02.html

  2012.2.3 scheduled for Jan 31, RC Jan 24

I -2ed some Nova changes on Friday:

  https://review.openstack.org/20485
  https://review.openstack.org/20337

> > The process isn't perfect, but I'm reluctant to get into the
> > complication of doing the equivalent of milestone-proposed for stable
> > releases. We'll probably end up doing that eventually, though.
>
> I do not think that we need to be extreme about it, but a sync a few
> days before to understand that we are all on the same page would suffice.

That's what we did for 2012.2.1:

  http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-stable-maint/2012-November/000131.html

and ended up with a regression in Nova:

  http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-stable-maint/2012-December/000150.html

A week really is a fairly minimal amount of time to lock things down
before a release.

> > The three changes merged since we froze were:
> >
> >      https://review.openstack.org/19264
> >        nova: Fix to include error message in instance faults
> >
> >      https://review.openstack.org/20644
> >        quantum: LinuxBridge: update status according to admin_state_up
>
> This is not a MUST have for this release. It is very nice to have an
> improves the usability. What is the risk - very low. It would be nice to
> have https://review.openstack.org/#/c/20677/ in conjunction with this
> one. Please note that the patch https://review.openstack.org/#/c/20676/
> depends on the aforementioned patch.

Please add your justifications to the review - i.e. how user-visible the
issue, how low risk the fix is, how well tested it is etc.

Thanks,
Mark.