[Openstack-stable-maint] Proposed RPC API change on nova stable/folsom

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Thu Nov 1 16:12:06 UTC 2012

Hey,

For the first time (that I'm aware of) we have a request to include a
backport on the stable branch which includes a change to the RPC API:

  https://review.openstack.org/14754

This is troublesome for a couple of reasons:

  1) People upgrading to a version which includes this change would
     need to be aware that they should update their compute services
     before updating their API services

  2) While in this case we're backporting the first RPC API change
     since Folsom (i.e. version 2.2 was in Folsom, this is version 2.3)
     if we were backporting a later API version we would have to give
     up on retaining Folsom compatibility in Grizzly

In this particular case, I'm somewhat hopeful we might be able to figure
out a fix which doesn't involve the API change but that remains to be
seen.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Mark.