[Openstack-sigs] [First Contact][SIG] [PTG] Summary of Discussions

Colleen Murphy colleen at gazlene.net
Mon Mar 19 11:20:05 UTC 2018

This discussion has gone completely off topic. The question from Jeremy was about easing language barriers:

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018, at 1:58 PM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:

> Any ideas on whether we should suggest that people who are finding
> English challenging try to reach out on one of our language-specific
> mailing lists for a language in which they are more fluent (and then
> perhaps arrange there for a video conference with another
> contributor who can help them if that's more convenient)?

The difficulty in setting up an IRC bouncer and whether it is even a good idea to encourage or require IRC persistence for OpenStack contributors is a completely orthogonal problem, it is absolutely not culturally or language specific.

What is culturally specific is where existing OpenStack communities already congregate. I've been told there is a vibrant OpenStack community on WeChat in China. But the Chinese mailing list is very low traffic[1]. So it would seem to me that sending newcomers into a black hole of a mailing list would be very discouraging, but encouraging their participation on a platform where they could actually find answers in their language could be beneficial to them.

Colleen

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-zh/