[Openstack-sigs] [meta] How SIG work gets done?

Melvin Hillsman mrhillsman at gmail.com
Sun Jul 16 18:21:39 UTC 2017

On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 12:15 PM, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:

> On 2017-07-16 11:51:21 -0500 (-0500), Melvin Hillsman wrote:
> > Observation: One typical concern voiced regarding a requirement
> > from a working group/team, organization, deployer, end-user, etc
> > is that there are no guarantees for requirements to even be
> > considered let alone being implemented. Comments regarding this
> > generally center around developers will work on what they are paid
> > to work on. This assumes something that may be pushing more folks
> > away at times and that is a) we have a paywall or pay-to-play
> > model, b) we do not/have not had any folks contributing out of the
> > spirit of open-source, and c) if you are a small IT shop you have
> > no chance of being heard.
> [...]
>
> It's worth noting that voicing requirements without actually doing
> most of the work to implement them yourself is also not in "the
> spirit of open source." The root of open source inertia is
> user-contributors scratching their own itches, not putting together
> feature wishlists in hopes someone else will do the work for you.

Sometimes if enough users want a feature, someone with no use for
> that feature themselves may still implement it for them for the fun
> of it, for the challenge, for the gratification that comes from
> building something others find useful... but that sort of
> volunteerism is not commonplace and definitely not the sort of
> behavior anyone should come to expect of someone else.

No debate here, totally agree, in part. If anyone comes with the
expectation that they say, hey do this, and walk away, and this gets done,
their expectations need to change, and they should be told the same. The
benefit of SIGs is that folks can prioritize what itches to scratch
together.

> The incentives at play in free software are mostly still the same
> incentives which drive other typical psychological/sociological
> patterns in human society. As is the case with just about anything,
> if you want something done right (or even at all sometimes) in
> OpenStack you need to do it yourself... and that's why SIGs probably
> need to be at least 50% comprised of people who will actually be
> implementing the things the SIG members want to see, or else those
> things ultimately won't happen.

Agree again, we want to get folks working together, even if the SIG is not
even 50/50 between those implementing and those figuring out if some itch
is actually an itch, at the end of the day, a well vetted, fully baked
proposal, with a set of folks dedicated to seeing that work get done is the
expectation?

> --
> Jeremy Stanley

Kind regards,

Melvin Hillsman
mrhillsman at gmail.com
mobile: (832) 264-2646

Learner | Ideation | Belief | Responsibility | Command